Re: [RC] [RC] Scottsdale ride Cancellation - Barbara McCrary

This is not the first time in the history of ride sanctioning that this problem has arisen.  I was once, and for many years, the sanctioning director of the West region, and it was difficult to spread the rides far enough apart to please all ride managers.  Try as I did, someone would be angry.  It's a tough job, but it's also unfair to set one's own rides ahead of others to give one's own rides an advantage.  470 miles is a suitable distance between rides on the same date.  In the West, granted serving a greater population than the SW, we set the distance apart as 150 miles or a major geographical barrier, such as a mountain range.  If you really want to put on your ride, Rusty, I would go ahead and do it.  There WILL be riders who come to YOUR ride instead of some other.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
To: Rusty
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Scottsdale ride Cancellation

That is very, very sad.  For a RM/sanctioning director to place a 2-3 week buffer around his rides is a disservice to riders.  Here in CT region, we have a lot of rides, and try to have rides just two weeks apart if they are in the same general area (such as in Texas - generally just a few hundred miles apart).  We'll often even alternate weekends for rides in TX and OK, since they, for the *most* part, attract different groups of riders.  That has worked well.  Very few RMs in CT region have felt the need to try and insulate their rides with "no ride" buffers of 2-3 weeks surrounding them...doing so reduces the number of weekends available for rides, and hurts both riders and RMs...most RMs realize that.  Your ride sounded delightful...I'm sorry to hear that it won't happen this year due to politics.

Dawn Carrie, Texas