Re: [RC] trailers - Beth Walker

I would agree with that. A driver that moves off too fast, stops too fast, or goes around corners too fast is going to give the horse an uncomfortable ride, no matter what type of trailer it is.

I also think horses can be 'biased' as well. Caisson was originally trained to a step-in slant load, which was set up so the horses could turn around and come out face forward. That is still his preferred type of trailer, I think. I think his "preference" has to do with the getting in and out, rather than the straight or slant question. He is quicker to go into a wide-open slant load. He is very uncomfortable with backing out of a step-up - I don't think he has done it more than a couple of times.

Of course, I have a straight load with a ramp (fairly steep) and a manger .... so he had to get used to it, and it seems to be a middle ground. He still has trouble with the ramp at times - it can get steep, depending on what the ground is like where I park, and when it gets past what he deems "comfortable", he will sometimes just hop over the ramp and up into the trailer ...

If I ever have the money, I think the style I would buy would be a straight load, low-angle ramp with an open area for a hay net rather than a manger.