Re: [RC] Eventing deaths - SandyDSA

Having ridden a short stint in eventing at the lower levels, and also having spent about 2 decades riding hunters/jumpers at mid level, then moving to the free-spirited sport of endurance, one factor of great note is that eventing, unlike any other form of english sporting or even endurance involves clearing rather sizeable obstacles that DO NOT GIVE. This on its own was the reason I got out of it as quickly as I got into it, even though my very reliable mount was more than capable. I felt that if I hit an obstacle, I want it to come down. Call me a control freak:), but if I whomp on a fence - or a log on the trail  - I prefer that it give way even if we go down. It will not be as damaging as whomping into something that does not move. In that way, while the percentage of severe accidents may or may not be any higher than any other high level of sport, it almost guarantees more injury at any given level. Eventing is certainly NOT for the faint of heart - and in my honest and mildly experienced opinion, probably not for the average rider who wants to ride the same horse for the long haul - or ride in the long haul in general.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com