Re: [RC] Eventing deaths - Jackie Causgrove

Why is it that someone in one discipline (and a discipline that is often criticized for being dangerous) will criticize another discipline for the very same reason?  This always amazes me.

And without a doubt, the poster is More than entitled to her opinion regarding any and disciplines.
However, I have a dissenting view.

Yes, there are strict records kept as to horse deaths/pulls etc in eventing.
You can go look them up.

Whenever one starts at the very higher levels of almost any discipline, there are going to be a lot more injuries and even perhaps fatalities.
However, one can get quite killed just as well and just as easily at any level.  That is the nature of being involved with horses.

Eventing is not by no means for the faint of heart.  However, it is meant to be a true challenge of a horses endurance and talent.  When you are riding courses that have 4 foot solid jump with a 4 foot drop into water, there are, without a doubt, very real inherent risks to horse and rider.

But also remember that anything sensational, the negative is going to glare out.
Try to keep things in context as to HOW many actual eventing shows take place in this country alone each weekend.
And compare that to HOW many deaths etc there are.

It's sort of like flying.

Well, I am now stepping off of my soap box.
And I agree that this is just my 2 cents worth as well

Jackie

Lynn White <lynndeepoo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is a reason (besides lack of $$) that I don't
event. Next time you think endurance riding is
hazardous to horses, think of the cross country event.
This weekend two horses died on the cross country
course of high level three-day event in Florida.
Sounds like one literally dropped dead on the course
and another had a bad fall. One rider was thrown and
is still in serious condition.

http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080317/NEWS01/803170318&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Though thrilling to watch, eventing at the FEI levels
is dangerous IMO. It's kind of like the ski jumping
of the horse sports: takes a lot of guts to
participate and there is a lot of risk. I wonder what
the statistics are for # of starts vs. equine deaths
for each horse sport. I would wager that endurance is
one of the safer ones both for horses AND riders.

Lynn

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people"

-W.C. Fields