RE: [RC] Advice on being a successful ride manager - Ranelle Rubin

Jaime,

First off, you are on the right track for asking..kudos to you!

One thing I would appreciate is if the ride managers would stay a few minutes after the ride meeting to answer questions for anyone who has not attended that ride before. I agree that too much detail during the general meeting would bore the heck out of those who do the ride every year. If you announce at the beginning of the meeting that you will offer a Q &A time after for anyone who still has questions, it will also cut down on your interruptions during the meeting.

Having been on both sides of this issue, I think this would help greatly..

Essentials:

A well-marked trail-good idea to have someone check it frequently for vandals!
Adequate water for my horse
Crew bag arrives ahead of me to out checks
Enough P & R folks so we don't stand around too much!

A couple things that have impressed me:

..one really neat thing that happened at a ride I went to was the RM got in touch with a local winery who did a wine tasting during dinner! They had folks walking around with a bottle each of red and white...happy awards dinner!

At another ride, the RM was walking down the line to the vet with a bucket of carrots! I thought that was very cool!

Easily identifiable volunteers to hold your horse while you pee is nice too!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx