From: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] A couple of Tevis questions
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:30:12 -0500

I won't pretend to be an expert on Tevis, but my friend from Tennessee and I both got buckles in 2007 doing a similar plan to what you describe.

Except I agree with Ranele. There is no need to go up that early, and lots of reasons not to. There were people up in Robie from Tuesday on to ride day. It was hot, dusty, stressful, and chaotic for the horses.  My suggestion would be to find a place to stay until Friday morning and then come set up. Don't worry about getting a place "close" to the vet check in area. Who needs the dust and noise all night?  You vet in there, and never see it again.

We camped towards the south and west of the vet in area. Maybe 300 -400 yards away? We had shade and quiet. Our horses relaxed before we rode out. Then you can drive down to Auburn on Wednesday to enjoy the welcome barbeque, and check out the fairgrounds. There are places to pull a rig in on ride day and set up  a SMALL pen.  But you need to be aware of the timing.

Our crew left Robie after we hit the trail, drove to Auburn, parked the rig, and headed to Robinson Flat. Depending on your ride speed, that can be pretty close timing. We sent a second vehicle directly to Robinson and she got there in plenty of time. The crew that hauled to Auburn got to Robinson about 10 minutes after we did. Fortunately, our other crew person had all our stuff, so we didn't go nuts waiting for the crew who took the rig to Auburn.

Have fun. Study and ask questions before you get there. You should think about your plans for the gate and go checks. Since there are no set hold periods there, you have to set it up. It is a great ride and really beautiful too.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO