Re: [RC] heavy riders? - Sisu West Ranch

Susan:
Sorry about an over generalized post. I did not intend to impugn the validity of your work or your published conclusions.

I was attempting to illustrate the complex nature of the whole topic of the effects of all of the variables on performance of endurance horses.

It is always tempting to extrapolate the results of a study much further than it should be extrapolated. In human health we are constantly bombarded, in the popular press, with overgeneralizations which while true in the original context have been extrapolated far beyond reason. A current example is the warnings about exposure to sunlight. For many years we have been warned that we all should wear maximum SPF whenever going outside. Recently, the need for sunlight exposure to produce an optimum level of Vitamin D for human health has been rediscovered. Duh! Northern European parents knew that for thousands of years.

If we get around a campfire, and someone brings the beer, I could go on for hours with stories like this from industrial chemistry/engineering. I'm sure Truman could do the same from his experience.

My bottom line is: We must always be constantly aware that it is very easy to extrapolate results, of even the best designed experiment, much further than they should be. For this reason a prudent person approaches life with healthy skepticism, and uses much new science as a guide to the next set of experiments, not as wisdom delivered from on high on stone tablets.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875