RE: [RC] heavy riders? - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I seriously doubt that even the most brilliant group appropriate scientists

could answer this question.  Susan G. has long maintained that the field
experiments she did show that rider weight does not matter, it is just the
weight of the horse.  I had a heated discussion about this with her a year
or so ago.

Nope, nope, nope----and if I ever left you with the impression that rider
weight doesn't matter, then mea culpa.  My opinion was (and is) that:

1) Total mass (rider plus horse) matters more than how the mass is divided
between horse and rider (at least within reasonable limits);

2) That while total energy costs for added mass increases in a linear
function if the mass is more or less over the center of gravity,
appropriately conditioned horses are able to supply those additional energy
requirements and maintain metabolic integrity; and that body condition score
has a close relationship with the ability to deliver the energy
requirements, meaning that excessively thin horses are in negative energy
balance and less able to deliver the work requirement without developing
metabolic failure;

3) That a well-conditioned animal is capable of carrying up to 30% of his
own bodyweight in the form of added rider weight and still performing well
within a single, 100-mile event; understanding that differing terrain (ie, a
flat course instead of a technical mountain course) or ambient conditions
(specifically, high humidity) may affect this result; and that career
longevity was not and could not be extrapolated from a single event;

4) That as total mass increases over a particular limit, the increase in
biomechanical stress is predictably more likely to result in lameness
failure.  This result may also be a variable strongly affected by differing
terrain, and to a lesser extent by ambient conditions.

So it's not that rider weight "doesn't matter"---it's that there are other
factors that are equally or more important in calculating total energy and
biomechanical costs.  I would not be in the least surprised if rider skill
was also a factor---it was one effect we attempted to include as a data set,
but could not with any accuracy, and thus omitted it entirely.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM