Re: [RC] Bad news for heavy riders and narrow horses - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]  Bad news for heavy riders and narrow horses
As we have been discussing on TreelessSaddles, it is extremely difficult to do legitimate, scientific studies of this kind. There are too many variables: type of horses, type of riders, type of riding, type of saddle. Plus, it’s not accurate to evaluate a report of a study without reading the original methodology in the original paper.

I was not immediately able to find Dr. Powell’s paper—maybe one of the vets on the list knows how to use a horsey Pub Med, but I would want to read the original for what kind of horses were used, how many subjects, riding level of the riders, etc.

Common sense says that any horse who carries too much weight will be sore. But the data can not be automatically extrapolated to any given heavyweight rider with a large horse, well-fitting tack, and advanced riding skills.