Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] From Cat to dogs charging - Maryanne Gabbani

Dogs are hardwired to chase something that runs away, especially something unfamiliar...ie, prey. I always slow down around dogs so that we don't trigger this response. It also helps my horses to aim a good kick better. Facing the dog and, in fact, chasing it at a walk or trot is also a good break in the hard-wired routine and makes the dogs stop and think things over. Having ten well-wired terriers littering up a farm has given me a lot of experience there.

Funny thing is that they will go into the paddock to try to get the horses to run so that they can chase them, and the horses on the whole just look and pin ears. Every so often one of the young ones will take up the game and the dogs are delighted....while I stand on the fenceline yelling at the horses "Kick the buggers, why don't you!"

Maryanne