[RC] cat shot/horse shot - Dawn Simas

My beloved endurance horse was shot several years ago by a neighbor.  This neighbor shot him because he would lean over the adjoining fence and was mashing it down there.  Never said a word about making the fence taller or that there was a problem, just got his gun.  My vet (legendary Todd Nelson, Tevis vet) came out and we did surgery in the pasture with no anesthesia, that's how stoic this horse was.  He was shot in the neck, we dug down and couldn't find the bullet.  Later xrays showed that it ricocheted off a vertebra and changed direction, so we left it there.  He had a lump in his neck for the rest of his life.  He was a cow horse in his early years and I am sure that he would brag at ridecamps about the bullet in his neck...  ;-)

We pressed charges and the judge we got in Auburn was a horse lover.  He did time in jail, paid the vet bills and a fine, and had to complete "anger management" classes.  :)

Can you press charges?  At least for your vet bill?  Maybe in civil small claims court?

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue