[RC] Blister Beetles- Birmingham, AL UPDATE - Raven

From: dredvet@xxxxxxx
Date: February 24, 2007 8:26:55 AM EST
Subject: Re: Highly toxic blister beetles killing horses in AL?
Coosa Valley Equine Clinic named as treating clinic

9 cases total @ this time.

1st case began Sat 2-17-07, have a lab definitive. She is alive &
still on fluids with significant kidney & liver damage.
2nd episode midweek. Owner found 1 dead few hours after feeding hay, 1
died before could get to the clinic & 1 died after <12 hours ICU @ our
place. Waiting on absolute lab confirmation though blister beetles
IDed in hay, could be in today.
3rd episode involved 5 horses with beetle ID in hay. Varying degrees
of illness, all will survive, only 1 required ICU, fluids,etc.

All came from common hay source/broker that appears to have originated
Eastern Colorado. Blister beetles unfortunately go with alfalfa.

This outbreak reminds us to watch hay carefully & buy from reputable
source. Good hay growers handle the problem well. Our current shortage
of local hay leads to alfalfa that may have originally been intended
for cattle consumption winding up in the horse markets. Also
hay may get diverted in transit via broker trades due to local shortage/demand.

Our ??? is how much of this hay wound up in smaller feed markets sold
1 bale @ a time to be fed @ some later date when guards go back down.

Had a similar situation in Georgia last year with several dead horses
after individual hay purchases from a large breeding farm as a favor,
not to mention the farm loss. Take home message is to grower
diligence, bonded brokers & final marketer knowing where their product
actually goes for accurate alerts (our biggest concern now).

Also, if you take $$ for keeping other peoples horses, check your
insurance! But you still gotta check your hay!

Cheers,
Ed Murray DVM

PS: The beetles we have seen are  not red but the traditional
brown/tan/black/grey, there are  many  toxic species.