[RC] FEI Ride - Alissa Norman

Mike,

If you're aiming for a 50 at the Biltmore, save yourself oodles of money and just go do the AERC
ride. The way the vet checks are set up at Biltmore, you'll get a decent "feel" for an FEI ride
there, even if you are just riding the AERC ride. And you'll get to hang with the FEI riders. Who
mostly just do the FEI 100. There's not usually many entries in the FEI 50.

The only part you'll miss out on is the opportunity to ride with a shirt with a collar (you can do
that on your own in you want...), the ability to NOT carry a whip, and the weigh-in on Friday. Now, of course,
there's a few other differences. But not enough to really make it necessary to pay the extra entry fee.

You'd need to be a USEF member, and then I think you have to pay the High Performance fee, as well.
Although that might only kick in if you do an FEI 100. Not positive.

Just GOING to Biltmore is enough of an experience. Try just doing the AERC ride the first time around.
Next year when you go again, then maybe think about FEI.

Have a blast! And I'll see you there!

Alissa Norman

I am working toward my first 50... hopefully in April... and want to ride
the Biltmore FEI ride in May.

After 4 good years of LD I finally have a horse who should be able to do
50s, and am just now beginning to learn about "real endurance rides",
"FEI" and the competitive side of this sport. Was wondering what is
necessary to join the FEI. Are there eligibility requirements I must
consider? My new (to me) horse has been absent from racing for awhile,
too.

Thanks,
Mike