Re: [RC] Hard Keeper and Competition Horse... two questions - Horseraser

I had a "hard keeper" back in the mid 1990's and I called every single person I could think of..including Matthew Mac Kay Smith, Cornell University and UC Davis. I had to make my own feed as omelene was the only option back then and all the extra molasses and protein really did a number on his head and urine ( protein is hard on the kidneys). Basically I came up with a similar mixture to Nutrena's XTN. This feed has 12% fat in it and its the good fat..lots of flax seed oil etc. I have used XTN on a horse that gets really "hot" when feeding additives and this is the only feed that doesn't make her hot and to me the nutrition is sound.. similar to things we use in the "Perricone Promise" for those of you that are into people nutrition. I have had problems with LMF and other feed additives-it was either one thing or another with the other feeds. XTN is a high fat,low starch with digestible fiber, very innovative... Just my two cents...
Micki