Re: [RC] glucosamine-for healthy horses - SandyDSA

The GAGS products are not pain relievers of any kind, and so they don't do a thing except provide the stimulant to produce naturally occurring lubrication and also help maintain healthy cartilage. If pain relief is what is needed, a properly prescribed NSAID is the thing - but then those cannot be used for performance - and of course, shouldn't. For someone with arthritis - like myself - the GAGS group can give relief, which differs from person to person - or horse to horse. The stimulation of synovial fluid in the body helps to lubricate the joints with perhaps rough edges, a lack of proper gliding surface and the like. It is not on its own a pain reliever. Hylauronic acid is great for stimulating the production of SF, but is very costly in comparison, though getting more available and cheaper lately. I rather hate to use it on a horse without some good diagnosis, since it may well give a degree of comfort that could be masking something else that is gradually degrading - and I would hate to miss something that later cannot be repaired.

I had seen some posts regarding the use of Legend etc during performance - I had thought that this was not permitted. Anyone want to jump in and update me?

Check out free AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and much more.