RE: [RC] re: PC - Steph Teeter

quick answers (I love simple questions :)

1.  Who was invited? >>
The Pres. Cup OC sent out general invitations to several Federations
(Portugal, France, Australia, Great Britain, USA) to pay expenses for 2
horses to compete at their ride. I don't know how the other countries
determined who to send, but the USEF (US Equestrian Federation - the
organization that interfaces between FEI and each discipline in the US) has
a written protocol, developed by USEF committee members for determining who
will be selected to represent the US at Int'l rides. First choice is riders
who placed at the most recent WEC, then riders who were on the WEC long
list, etc.) The same basic criterea will apply to riders going to other Int'
championship events this year - Pan American Ch. in Brazil, European Ch. in
Portugal). Bottom line is that USEF is focused on riders that perform at FEI
events, and go through the FEI/USEF selection process. John Crandell's horse
had possibly the most brilliant season of any horse in the USA, but since
they were not FEI rides, and he did not nominate for the WEC, he wouldn't be
considered. This is what I was referring to when I mentioned the disconnect
between USEF and AERC.

In the past the PC OC has also extended specific invitations - e.g. winner
of Tevis, Kanavies, etc. They can basically invite whomever they want, but
this year they left it up to the Federation to choose riders.

In addition, anybody can enter any FEI ride as long as they meet FEI
qualifications (belong to a Federation, have an FEI registration number) and
as long as the rider gets permission from his/her Federation. If somebody
over there had offered me a horse, I could have ridden too as long as the
OC, the UAE Federation and the USA Federation permitted.

2.  What country they represented?  (Riders did not
necessarily ride a horse represented from their own
country)
-Some riders shipped their own horses (expenses paid by PC OC), other
riders, especially those who live or work there, rode horses belonging to
the stable they work for.

3.  What place they finished?
4.  The amount of training and/or previous
competitions completed by the horse and it's times.
5.  Age of horse.
6.  Age of rider.
7.  Number of years rider has competed.
8.  What organization the rider primarily rides under.>>

All the above questions - I can't quickly answer, but most of it doesn't
really pertain to the PC. There are rules regarding horse age, but that's
about it for bottom line. The USEF has their own criteria for picking the
best riders to represent the USA overseas, other countries may have similar
(or different) methods.

Hope that helps a little -

Steph