Re: [RC] snakes - rides2far

  I sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.  But I thought it
was King snakes that killed poisonous ones,

Yeah, King Snake, Black Snake, I think they're the same. We just call'em
black snakes around here. You got me on the egg thing though. I *do* know
a poisonous snake when I see it though. I used to ride horses with 2
redneck boys who *lived* to catch snakes. They'd knock a copperhead off a
tree limb over the creek and chase it down the creek with a forked stick
while I held their horses. One swam right through my horse's front legs
before they pinned it down,  & caught it (I could see the venom shooting
out underwater) and then stuffed it in a Maxwell House coffee jar they
found laying out in a trashheap. My horse didn't mind till he sniffed the
jar. My 2 "King" snakes are actually a King & a Queen. :-))  I have
photos to prove it, so we have little prince & princess snakes around the
place. It's so obvious what kind they are they really don't bother me in
the least. The other day the cat had one about 18" long playing with it.
It looked 100% dead but I brought it in and put it in a jar and boy did
it wake up!  Kaboot's the only horse I've had that hated snakes. He
REALLY hated it when he'd see on on the trail and would shy from sticks.
I don't know if it was from seeing the "sticks" around the barn crawl off
or if he'd ever had a bad experience.

From Wikepedia:

Kingsnakes are constrictors and tend to be opportunistic when it comes to
their diet; they will eat other snakes (ophiophagy), lizards, rodents,
birds, and eggs. They are highly resistant to the venom of other snakes
and are known to eat rattlesnakes. The "king" in their name (as with the
king cobra) is a reference to their taste for other snakes and their
ability to overpower other snakes.