[RC] President's cup - rides2far

Yes,> they can go far. They have evolved for just such capabilities.
But
fast AND> far...? I don't think there was ever a Darwinian need to
outrun a
predator> for 100 miles...

I was looking through an Endurance News from about 5 years ago and there
was a full page ad where the UAE was pushing for the "classic distance"
to be shortened. I don't know that we want to give up the title "classic
distance" from the 100, but I would love it if they shortened their
races. It would differentiate between the two types of riding. If they
have 60 mile sprints and are able to use up fewer horses and we can be
the home of the 100, I think it would be great. Problem is the WEC.
They'd want it their way and we wouldn't. Be handy if they'd break off
and just be a Middle Eastern Racing association or something. It really
seems to be the most popular style in that part of the world but
"inconvenient" on others. If you've got no interesting obstacles, I
suppose speed is the only source of exciement. Guess I'd want to get it
over with too. >g<

I'd love to know what they have learned when "figuring out" the
metabolics.  I'm sure it would be helpful even for those of us who go
*much* slower. Any secret insight what *they're* doing in the electrolyte
area? Did they go the carbo-charge route? What do their horses eat at
checks? Are they still driving along-side throwing out water bottles?
What sort of drug testing is going on? Are they scared of being caught or
are the *biggest* dogs above the law? What about shoeing? Anybody get any
photos of their length & toe & angles preferred?

I notice that 2 of the horses we heard about were crosses between
western breeds & Arab (App & QH) Interesting. Not what I'd have expected
but helpful at those speeds? Do you think they're using the crossover
muscle group that's not Fast twitch or slow twitch but that middle range
that can be "trained"?

Angie