Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Starting the middle aged horse in distance riding

My horse Fox was not broke to ride until she was 9 years old.  She had been a broodmare for all of her life before I bought her.  She is now 15 and has completed over 2000 miles including 6 100s.  Her most competitive year was as a 14 year old.

Before the experience with this mare, I never would have considered that a horse could accomplish so much at 13 and 14 years old.  Her performance improved with every ride season.  There was a time that I would not have considered starting a older horse but this mare completely changed my mind.

Kim Fuess