[RC] Starting the middle aged horse in distance riding - heidi larson

Kim, we recently (last May) started a rescue arab  (20 years young) for my stepdaughter.  He was not broke at all, I had 30 days put on him, rode him over the summer, did a 30 mile LD on him and then he went to Autumn to ride.  They attempted an LD in Sept. but she pulled him as he clipped his heel and although not lame, she didn't want to risk him.  Then he did an LD at Foothills a month+ later, finished and got BC.  I don't think I'd have necessarily started him for me, I weigh in with tack/saddle in the 180's but she's 110 lbs. w/tack, soaking wet!  He's also only 13.3 hands tall, and I'm 5'8".  His back is pretty swayed so she rides with <5 lb. bareback pad!  And we generally take it easy on him, knowing his past which was basically being locked in a stall for the previous 10 years, being used as a stallion til we got him, thrush, underweight, bad teeth, manure burns, you name it.  But, even with all the neglect, he's the sweetest and kindest boy I've ever known and he really appreciates going down the trail.  He loves to be in front, his ears are forward and his eyes are bright.  I don't know how much longer his life will be, he's missing 2 teeth already and little to no growth left in the ones he has, but he has a big heart and makes a little girl super happy!  And since he loves his new job so much, we'll let him decide when it becomes too much for him.  (He had been quidding his food prior to being broke, even with 2 dental visits.  Now that he's got a job, no more quidding, he cleans up his food and looks for more!  I think he was just majorly depressed.)  Not saying every 20 year old horse can be an endurance mount, but don't rule out the middle aged ones!  Autumn is planning 4-5 rides on him this season and I know he'll enjoy every minute!  Check out his webpage and photo, he's got THE cutest little Raffles head and big eyes, how could we have resisted him?!!

heidi and the old man Asil Kontiki   http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/asil+kontiki

end of slideshow shows his condition when we got him:

this one shows is updated condition and our first riding experience!