Re: [RC] Starting the middle aged horse in distance riding - GoldenCMK

In a message dated 02/16/2007 11:01:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, distancerider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

How many have you started an already broke 10 year old or older horse for distance riding and how long did the horse hold up for you?  How many miles and competitive years were you able to achieve with the horse?

I started endurance on a 13 yr old gelding, Faroh and my husband on a 10 yr old mare, Jezireh+. My daughter is now riding that gelding who will be 20 in April. Jezireh+ will be 17 this yr and hopefully will have her 2000 miles by her birthday. She has been a top tenner, 100 miler carrying a heavyweight rider. Since my daughter took my horse I am now riding a 14 yr mare who has barley been ridden in her life but is more than willing to go down the trail.

Maria