Re: [RC] [RC] riding while pg - Jennifer Adam

I rode the first trimester of both my pregnancies and then had to quit. First time because my horse was young and green and it was too big of a risk, second time I had to quit because the dr was concerned about my placenta separating. As much as I missed riding, I still was able to go out every day and brush my horse, hand walk him, and just lean up against his warm neck. :) Took each of my new babies out to meet him the day I brought them home from the hospital. :)

Jen

From: SandyDSA@xxxxxxx
To: jeanmiller@xxxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   riding while pg
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:51:36 EST

As one who rode until 2 weeks before the first daughter and one who needed
to stop riding 6 weeks before the second, as any MD will tell you, every PG is
a little different. don't assume that because your best friend rode until a
vet had to deliver said baby that YOU can as well. The biggest concern of
course would be...separation of horse and rider - involuntarily:). Aside from
that, there may be other issues not apparent that can be compounded by the
pounding. IN general, exercise is very good for a mom-to-be; however, any good MD
will tell a mom-to-be that they need to be aware of the dangers of having an
accident especially later in the gestation. It would seem prudent to assume
that a better general statement would be to do what you are accustomed to
doing, less the exceptional danger element, certainly later in gestation. God is
indeed good when we are fortunate enough to have healthy "foals" while riding
until delivery - but don't assume that everyone does. Let your body - and
your doctor - help you decide when to stop riding. I personally would hate to
think of how I would have felt if anything I did compromised the life of my
girls.

Get in the mood for Valentine's Day. View photos, recipes and more on your Live.com page. http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701