[RC] Will reducing the number of wt divisions change the number of awards? - Michael Maul

In response to:"I would love to see the weight divisions reduced to 3 and a chunk of the budget for those awards redirected to recognition for longer distance rides: 100s."

Let me start by saying that I am neutral on the number of divisions. I want to make the point that expecting any significant reduction in the amount of funds spent on awards or reduction in the number of awards from reducing the divisions to three isn't real and here's why.

AERC uses the rule that the award placings for wt divisions go to the top 5% of the members in a wt division or 10 whichever is *lower*.

If we take a region that has 600 members divided as

FW 140
LW 200
MW 160
HW 100

there will be 30 placings in total.

If we split this into 3 divisions of 200 each - there will still be 30 placings.

For every region with about 600 members or less - CT, MT, MW, PS, and SW - there's no saving in awards to be had by reducing the number of divisions. In fact - with the right set of numbers - evenly dividing the three divisions could produce more awards than having four divisions when 1 or more divisions is limited to 10 placings.

The only savings in awards would come in the large regions - W saves 10, NW saves 8, SE saves 5, NE saves 3. Having 3 divisions in the Pioneer awards would save another 10.

So of all the regional awards given out - we would reduce the number by at most 26 if we went to three wt divisions and perhaps not even that.

While this is a reduction in awards - it's not much.

Reducing the number of wt division to reduce the amount spent or even the number of awards doesn't seem like it has enough effect as the only reason for going to three divisions.

There were 324 regional placings in 2006 and 50 in Pioneer. Reducing this by at most 36 is a 9.6% reduction - not a 25% decrease as one might intuitively guess.

The other awards don't depend on wt divisions and would not be changed.

Comments?

Mike