[RC] Wt statistics - Michael Maul

In response to:"Where are the stats from? Membership? Have you noticed that much of the membership doesn't ride or if they do they don't ride much. What I've noticed is that there are year-end awards all the way down the placings for each weight division. There are plenty of riders who ride enough to place in the regional standings annually."

Actually I posted both sets of statistics - membership and actual riders. The difference between divisions was more for active riders than the membership in general.

The number of placings depends on the number of members in a division and the number of members in a region.

That's why the W region with almost 4 times the number of members as the SW region has placings to 10th in all divisions while the placings in the SW are limited to:

FW 3 placings
LW 5 placings
MW 4 placings
HW 3 placings

The way AERC calculates the number of placings available in a region is 5% of the number in a wt division or 10 - whichever is lower.

I have to admit that this makes my argument for equalizing the number in each division not valid.

While LW riders may have twice as many riders competing - they get about twice as many award placings so I withdraw my point about competition being harder for an award in LW than HW. It is still more difficult to take 1st though in a division with more competitors.

The number where where placings in a division are limited to 10 is 200. The LW division in the W region has about 250 active riders.

Mike