Re: [RC] weight - Susan

Just because you're a featherweight doesn't kick you out of contention for BC.  The horse gets conditioned to the weight it carries.  If your horse isn't used to carrying a HW, she may not score as well as she would with you.

When my horse wins BC, his vet score is high.  His time and my weight may push us up to win but he has to be in shape.  There have been MANY times we've been beaten by FW or LW (I'm a HW) simply because that other horse vetted better than mine.

So, don't give up on BC.

Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm a featherweight and just sent in my AERC membership application, so
perhaps I don't have the right to comment on weight issues. And since I
don't intend to be competitive (at least not for a long while) weight
divisions don't personally affect my current goals.

However, I've often thought that my weight - or lack of it - could be a
disadvantage to my horse *if we were* competing for BC. I understand the
arguments that heavier horses and riders have to work harder (we've hashed
this topic out before) but it's just a bit frustrating to feel that *my*
horse's accomplishments might somehow be overlooked just because she's not
carrying much weight. My husband and I have even discussed the possibility
of him riding my horse just so she could have a chance at BC (he weighs 200
pounds to my 105). Not to say that she's BC material - but I'd hate to feel
that I prevented my horse from being recognized for her ability if she were.
And I"m not crazy about riding faster just to make up for the weight
difference. On some trails that would be fair, but on really technical
trails there is a limit to how fast you can safely ride.

JMHO -
Jen Adam

*The ride may end but the trail never does*

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)