[RC] The money/time coninuum - Lynn White

I?m getting ready to start my seventh year in this
sport.  I am fortunate to be able to make a reasonable
living in a depressed economy.  This has enabled me to
have some acreage.  If you really want to have horse
property the best way is to find a way to make a
living in a small town?be like a nurse or a pharmacist
or a teacher?something like that.

I didn?t get my first horse until I was 38.  I have
two kids (teens now) and a husband who could care less
about horses.  My oldest daughter used to come with me
and crew, but it was only because she wanted to get
away from her pain-in-the-ass little sister.  I used
to feel sorry for myself because my family had no
interest in horses.  But actually I enjoy getting away
from everyone and hanging out with my horsey friends.
If my family was there I?d be obliged to hang with
them?and I see them every day.

When my kids were toddlers I was working a full time
job trying to start a career.  I was mostly obsessed
with just getting more than four hours of sleep a
night.  Riding was the furthest thing on my
mind?couldn?t afford it anyway.  But I don?t regret
not riding.  Kids are only little once and they really
need their parents.  You can?t go back and re-live
your kids being little, but you have your whole life
to ride.

So now I do endurance on a shoe-string:  My kids are
getting ready to go to college and I want to help them
on that, so money is tight.  I drive a 77 Ford 3/4
?ton that gets eight miles per gallon.  My trailer is
even older than that, but it gets me to rides.  My
truck has a shell (also known as a red-neck storage
facility) and I sleep in that if the weather is bad,
other than that I?m ?tent trash?.  I rigged up my own
electric corral that in my opinion is far better/safer
than the retail ones at half the cost.  Every time I
go to and from a ride I feel like I?ve won the lottery
because that old truck just keeps on going.  I buy and
sell stuff on e-bay to make money to go to rides.  My
horse is a classified-add grade special that is tough
as nails and that I love dearly.  I ride whenever I
can, sometimes in the dark after work.  The family
knows that on Sundays I will be out a long time.  Just
about all my biothane tack is second hand: none of it
matches.  My saddle is an e-bay special.  But never
will I ever compromise on feeding my horse, her feet
or her care.  Sure, it would be nice to have a wealthy
spouse so I wouldn?t have to work, own a comfortable
outfit, a top-knotch horse and be an FEI rider.  But I
am proud to be this tenacious.  I get a kick out of
being organized and in control?it?s my outlet.  Having
to think though organizing myself gets my mind off my
crummy job and two teenage girls who are ALWAYS
fighting.

I feel so fortunate to have the health and ability to
do this sport.  In most every other country just
having a horse is far out of reach for most working
stiffs.  And then in many countries women are only
allowed to ride if the male in their life allows it.
So get out there and do what you want, whether it?s
riding Harleys or horses.

-Lynn White

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265