Re: [RC] [RC] Time and Money to Do This Sport... getting philosophical - Mel Cochran

I am in my late 20's and am doing my best to really get into endurance riding. Right now I have a 4 year old horse so we are doing LD's for the moment. I am married but have no children. I am trying to put that off as long as possible because of my horse habit. My husband is not a horse person, he is not social and could care less about going with me to rides. I work a "normal" job that has a great deal of responsibilities but is also flexible.

Now, I could see all of that as negative but have decided to spin it into something positive.

Right now, I want to try and attend one ride a month. That is what I can swing financially and work schedule wise. This means that once a month I get to go on a mini vacation by myself and get away from it all. The only person that I have to worry about is me. There is a certain freedom that comes with that. My husband gets a break from me and can sit around the house playing x-box and not have to listen to me rattle on about horses.

If we ever do have kids, it will be when I finally get my husband to realize that horses will not go away just because we have procreated. I think the best advice about having children that I have ever heard is to incorporate them into your life, don't incorporate yourself into theirs. That means that if I have kids one day, once a month my husband will get to spend some quality time with the offspring while I go regian my sanity. :-)

BTW - I have a pretty minimalist setup for rides. A truck, a 2 horse bumper pull and a tent. No LQ for me - I am trying to get on a gameshow so I can win the money for a nice rig. That is the only way I will get one without my husband on board with my horsey finances. ;-)

Mel

Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG