Re: [RC] Ideal Gooseneck LQ size? - Laney Humphrey

I'd suggest deciding how many days are the max that you will ever camp & need to be self sufficient at one event. If it's never more than one or two nights, you can stay pretty simple. That's also true if you are a pretty simple person satisfied with just the basics. I've camped for 2 months in my 3 horse 6'shortwall LQ that is essentially a "weekender." But lots of people want a bit more space or more luxuries. On the XP multi day events (where parking, admittedly, can be a bit more spread out than on the W region endurance rides), most people try to stay at about 22' body length. If you have the cash, you can custom design the interior, doing such things as making the stalls a bit narrower than normal which works because endurance horses are usually smaller than big warmbloods or chunky QHs. By making the stalls a few inches narrower, that gives you more room in the LQ. Water (both human and horse) and feed/hay are the bulky stuff to store, but unless you're riding the Pony Express Trail or something, you'll never be very far away from places you can resupply so it isn't necessary to carry an entire feed store.
Personally, I prefer pulling a shorter trailer because it's easier so I'm willing to give up some space, but that is entirely a personal decision. Have fun shopping!! Are you coming to convention? There may be some trailers on display there. Cal Expo in June is a fantastic place to trailer shop!
Laney

Barbara Berlitz wrote:
Hi all,

Now, I am looking for advice. I have just retired my 2003 Yukon from trailer duty. Pulled out the brake controller yesterday to guarantee it. I got a one-ton dually, so can now “graduate” to a gooseneck with LQ (after much contemplation eliminated camper/truck combo mostly because I cannot manage the tail gate of the truck myself and would want use of the truck as a truck , too). I will be replacing my beloved 2 horse slant 2003 Trails West with something. I am in the WESTERN region, so you know what sorts of tight campsites and/or hairpin turns into camps we have out here. What is the group recommendations on the maximum box-length I should get for the trailer portion? Is getting a Mid-Tack out of the question because of the added length? I plan on a three horse, with stud wall if not a mid-tack. But…what amount of space does that leave for the LQ part? All tips welcome!!!

Gratefully yours.

//Barbara J. Berlitz//

//Pacific Grove////, CA//////

//M 31575//