[RC] - The Coles

I too am a "heavy" at 210lbs.  While I don't do 50's or 100's, mainly
because I Event, I have done many CTR's and a few LD's.  My horse has always
finished  in the top 3.  And, like you, I am currently facing the same
discrimination from some Olympic level coaches as I prepare to move to
Preliminary level next summer.

What turns my crank is that all people see is a fat person.  There are
PLENTY of skinny people out there who are unfit, and really crappy riders.
Unbalanced, clinging, back pounders.  I work hard all year to improve my
riding position through dressage lessons from a VERY well qualified coach.
I take pride in being super careful about my horses back, and making sure
that when he does get tired that I try to keep him centered under the saddle
rather than let him pop his ribs to the right and start increasing his
fatigue through poor carriage.

The only sweet revenge I have is to know that I am a balanced rider, and an
effective one, and while my winnings, in eventing and distance, have proven
that "fat" people can ride, I still feel a need to prove it as well.
Perhaps I have a damaged psyche...

Even though I know that these National level coaches have made their
comments in an effort to improve my riding and fitness level (I do
understand their foundation of statement), and hence be able to help my
horse when we are nearing the last leg of the cross country course and he is
getting tired coming into large solid fences, it still stings nevertheless!
Perhaps this is just what I need to finally start a serious effort at
becoming fitter for my horses sake.......

DL
Jeff and Donna Lee Cole
Turning Point Stables
Browns Flat, NB