Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 9:57 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] barefoot and boots

Karen:

I plan to begin conditioning and riding LD's this season with my 4-yr
old Nevada Mustang, Hermano, who has rock-hard hooves and has never been
shod.  I have two boot-related questions:

1.  Do I need to boot him on all four feet, or can -- or should -- I
just boot up the front two?  If I do that, what risks to I run?

2.  At what distances should I consider use of the boot rather than just
his bare hooves?  To date, we've been doing 10-12 mile rides with no
apparent problems, but we've not yet done anything further.  My goal
this year is to do at least one 50 mile ride, building up to that
distance with shorter rides.

Thanx, Dave