[RC] barefoot and boots - Moriah Nickerson

Hi All,  I have read the great debates on shoes v. barefoot and for now I would like to keep my boy barefoot.  I am looking for some advise on boots as alternatives to shoes for my horse.  However, where I ride is really rocky (new england) and I don't want him to have sore feet.
Is it possible to just put boots on him when we ride, and will that give him enough protection from rocks?
What boots work best on barefoot horses?
Is there an adjustment time for them to get used to boots or break them in?
The boot seems like a rather rigid shape, does it form to their feet at all, or is it a "best fit"?
Do they work in snow, and how are the added studs for traction?
What other problems might I encounter that my worry-wart brain has not already dreamed up??
thanks in advance for the advise! :)
moriah and rubix