[RC] 20-Mule Team 100 - part 2 - Aaron Turnage

I woke up just before 5 am to get ready for the 6 am start.  It was a fast and easy process to get into the clothes I had laid out and drink something for breakfast.  I had made oatmeal with good intentions but I just can?t do solid food before a ride so had a chocolate Ensure and some water.  Sinatra had laid down and slept the night before and looked ready to go but wasn?t too excited, which was perfect.  There was a controlled start at 6 am and Jean and I rode over about 5 minutes later and walked out of camp on a loose rein, the dust from the horses in front of us visible on the horizon.  I knew my boy was fit and ready for a 50 or 65 but since I was unsure of how conditioned and ready we were for a 100 our plan was to take it slow and steady and just see how things went.  I was planning on about a 5 mph average, which isn?t a whole lot slower than the ~6.5 mph we normally ride but would be a good pace to get us through the day and our first ride of the season.

We had been warned that this ride can be harder than it seems and riders may have a tendency to try to go to fast.  The course had a few hills but a LOT of long gradual climbs and descents.  Plus it was fairly sandy and could be deep in places.  Luckily we have the benefit of being about to train in the sand, hills, and rocks at home but listened well and rode according to our horses.  Jean had planned on trying to stay with Sinatra and me although Chi would have preferred to go much faster.  =)  We cruised along through the morning, getting off trail once and having some riders yell at us so we could turn around and go back.  We had the opportunity to repay the favor just a few miles down the trail.  She later caught up to us and thanked us, her horse was ready to go and she had to pay a lot of attention to him.  We came into the first check at 15 miles and after a quick drink I took Sinatra over where he was a 12 (48) for P&R.  The guy complemented me, said that was the third he?d had all morning and my horse was in really good shape.  The Duck vetted us at the check and we were OK good to go.

The 15 minute hold went quickly, Pamela Burton with Chronicle of the Horse took some pictures of us and soon we mounting up to go.  Sarah Martin, also from around the Reno-area decided to slow up a little and joined us as we left.  It was uphill for the first 5 miles or so out of the check.  We rode briefly with Bruce from Utah till the first water stop on this check.  Then it was a BEAUTIFUL ride downhill through a long sandy canyon to the next check and hour hold at 31 miles.  There were some sections of big sandy-type boulders on this section that the horses had to be careful on.  Sinatra is so great with tricky footing, he would put his head down to check it out then cruise right over.  We got to the 31-mile check around 11 am, about 5 hours after we had started.  I found my crew box and Sinatra happily ate his mash and the hay that was provided.  He vetted out great again, I think got a B on guts but I wasn?t concerned since he was eating well and gut sounds can be so subjective.  CRI was 12/11, I?ll take it.  =)  He promptly rolled in the powdery dirt after having his check (tack was off), something I was expecting (he LOVES to roll) and prepared for.  I brushed him off, ate my own lunch and enjoyed watching the front running 65-milers coming in.

The hour hold was appreciated by horses and riders but soon it was time to hit the trail again.  The three of us (Sarah, Jean, and I) set off from the check for a few fairly flat and fast miles.  The front running 65?s caught up with us shortly and started to pass.  Sinatra didn?t mind but Jean?s horse Chi was getting pretty upset.  He?s off the track and is very competitive.  I suggested that maybe she let him go a little faster like he wanted to and just wait for us at the next check.  It was taking a lot of energy out of him and her to fight each other like that.  Sarah?s mare Sierra would kind of get going too so they took turns using Sinatra (in his rope halter and loose rein) as a road block.  I had a lot of ?I love this horse? moments on this ride.  =)