[RC] 20-Mule Team 100 (long) - Aaron Turnage

Girl You?ve Got it Bad ? My 20-Mule Team 100

My 20-Mule Team ride started on December 23rd, the Saturday before Christmas.  We were down at my parent?s house and I decided it would be fun to take my son roller skating, something I had not done in about 15 years.  We went to the roller rink with my mom, my son, and my sister and less than an hour later my mom was driving me to the ER since I had fallen and hurt my arm.  As we were driving in the car, with my arm propped up on my jacket and a bag of ice on the top I looked at my mom and said, ?You know what this means don?t you?  You?re going to have to saddle Sinatra for me at 20-Mule Team.?  =)  She looked over at me and shaking her had laughingly said, ?Girl, you?ve got it bad.?  Yes, I do.

Fast forward about 5 weeks and we are entered and getting ready to go.  The arm ended up being a minor fracture of my radius.  I called and rescheduled my cast removal for the Thursday before the ride rather than the originally planned Tuesday after.  I lied and told the scheduler I had a wedding to go to and didn?t want a cast for in the pictures.  =)  I had to thank my aunt for that excuse, it worked perfectly.  I had been able to saddle and ride with my cast just fine, but couldn?t wear a glove so that was of concern to me.  After removal and x-ray the doctor pronounced me totally healed and able to go do what ever I wanted to with that arm.  He kind of blinked at me funny when I said ?Oh good.  I?m doing a 100-mile ride on my horse on Saturday.?  He wished me well and I went back to work testing my shortened range of motion in my wrist.

I met a very nice lady through a mutual friend from the Reno-area who was also planning on going down to 20-Mule Team.  Jean and I made plans to meet after work on Thursday and drive down to Bishop and overnight at the fairgrounds there.  It was to be Jean and her horse Chi?s first 100 and Sinatra and my third (finished Sunriver, overtime at Tevis).  The week getting ready to go was just crazy, work was hectic, I was busier than normal with my husband?s business, and then just all the checking, cleaning, packing, organizing that goes into going to a ride, compounded because this was our first ride of the season and I hadn?t been through everything since our last rides in October.  The drive down on Thursday went smoothly.  I would highly recommend staying at the Bishop fairgrounds.  They gave us two box stalls and had the water turned on for us.  Very pleasant and easy to deal with, although not quite so easy to find our stalls in the dark but we managed.

Woke up and got a fairly early start and arrived in Ridgecrest around 10:30 or so Friday morning.  My mom was coming down to help crew and ride the 35 mile LD with her TWH and she pulled in a scant 5 minutes after we did.  Got the horses out, walked and settled and then the buzzing of clippers filled the air as I redid the trace clip my boy had been give in October but had since grown out about an inch or more.  I just clipped the underside of his neck, entire chest, and outer flank areas.  I then hosed him off to help wash off some of the dirt, hair, and such.  It?s been so cold in Reno (highs in 40?s) that I hadn?t been able to bathe him at all for several months at home.  He was a fuzzy looking new man by that afternoon.

We got all checked in and vetted.  I know I?m not at home when I get asked by every third person what kind of horse Sinatra is.  People in Reno have gotten used to seeing him over the last 4 years but he is certainly noticeable and does stand out from the rest.  Unfortunately I don?t know his breeding nor have the slightest clue.  He?s a very red chestnut sabino with a big blaze, four high white stockings and two blue eyes.  I was able to meet a couple of people from some of the online endurance lists when they recognized my description of my horse and came over to say hi.  =)  It?s always nice to put a face to the name.  A short ride, packing of crew bags (I would be on my own for most of the ride so had two different bags for the two main away checks), and the ride meeting then it was time for bed.  I was exhausted from the last week and the long drive and went to bed around 9 pm and slept VERY well.