[RC] To clip or not to clip and blanket - mary

I am trying to decide what to do with the very long, shaggy coat my TWH has. She has been blanket less and outside so far this winter.  I live in Idaho and will be going to HOTR the last weekend in March. I just got my horse back from training and am starting to condition.  Needless to say she gets wet from sweating. I am considering clipping her and then blanketing her.  (What a pain in the neck though) I know the ride will be hard on her with the coat she has now and I am sure she will not shed out very much before then. Plus cooling her out after conditioning is a real challenge. Any suggestions?  Clip? What type of clip?  I did a trace clip last year, but she still got very hot at Milwaukee RR.  Of course the day of MMR was very warm - unseasonably warm.   Blanket? What weight blanket?

Thanks,
Mary