[RC] lighten up! (was horses touching noses) - Lynn White

I?ve seen some gawdawful oblivious behavior at rides.
But come on everyone, some of you don?t have anything
to do other than whine about a lapse of reason that a
rider might have.  One more time:  This is a sport
that is SUPPOSED to be fun.  Sometimes people get
dehydrated, or they have done 50 miles on slippery
ground and perhaps had less than two hours of sleep
the night before and are just mentally exhausted. If
you bring a sensitive horse to a ride it is your
responsibility to place the ribbons on him and remind
riders that your horse needs a big bubble.   People
can not read your mind.  Some riders are new to the
sport and are clueless about rider etiquette.  Help
them!  And for goodness sake, please get your
sensitive horse AWAY from the trough as soon as he is
done drinking.  I?ve waited for up to ten minutes with
a thirsty and very friendly mare to keep her away from
horses all the while riders are standing there
sponging/yakking away?and these are seasoned riders
that should know there is no rule stating that the
sponge bucket has to stay adjacent to the trough.
Here is how I approach rides:  Rule #1.  All riders
(including myself) are capable of having moments of
stupidity for any reason at any time.  It?s not a
personal thing, it?s just how a human mind works.
Rule #2.  All horses kick/bite and are capable of
doing caprioles that will result in the need for
LifeFlight.  I find that having this kind of attitude
keeps me away from horses and gives me charity towards
other riders.   If I go into a ride with this attitude
I find I have a lot more fun and am safer to boot.
Try it sometimes.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.