RE: [RC] Don't forget touching noses - Katrina Mosshammer

I couldn't agree more. I was at a ride this fall and while I was standing IN the pulse area with a p/r person taking her pulse the lady walks right up with her horse in my mare's face and asks the p/r person if she can get a courtesy check WHILE he is taking my mare's pulse. My mare behaved and did not do anything but it did cause her heart rate to go up and she did not meet criteria. I was so mad. The lady then walked off a ways and the guy went to check her horse so I asked the other p/r person for a recheck and now as soon as the horse was out of her face she was below criteria again. Then while we were waiting in line for the vet this same lady was standing in line behind me and she let her horse sniff and touch my mare's flank not once but twice and was totally clueless about it. I could tell that my mare's patience had reached its limit so I turned her to where she only had her head in the line and I was between her and my gelding, who was in line in front of us, and the other horse. I was very mad and this lady never paid any attention to her horse.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of sandydsa@xxxxxxx
Sent: December 27, 2007 9:01 AM
To: iluvdez@xxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Don't forget touching noses

 << The point is that no person who is thoughtful and knowledgeable and cares a lick about his horse or others' and THEIR horses or has any sense of self respect allows this kind of thing to go on. Ever. The good rider/handler pays ATTENTION to his or her horse, has the experience to manage a public event or venue, and does NOT allow interactions between his own horse and those of strangers. It comes down to stupidity borne of lack of experience or just plain idiocy - or just not caring about anyone else. A ribboned horse begs to have space - give it to them. A horse with that yellow ribbon is asking you to respect his gender - do so. Every OTHER horse is a stranger to YOURS so it is NEVER okay to allow YOURS to wander about on a 12' line and say howdy to everyone in sight. Manage your horse in a crowd - PAY ATTENTION - or go home.There. Nuff said >>