Re: [RC] [RC] re: You should (was agressive kicker) - Dawn Carrie

<Both horses and children can quickly learn that discipline ends in public
view.   It is behavior that must be discouraged.>

Likewise, they can also learn that they can get away with things in the P&R box, because riders don't want to discipline them and risk raising the HR.  My horse Bear still has a bad habit of  occasionally fussing, figiting about, and tossing his head when he doesn't want to stand still, usually early in a ride.  After I get after him (usually a verbal scolding will do, sometimes it takes a swat on the neck), he'll stand nicely.  But after getting away with a couple of mild incidents of this in the P&R box, he figured that was a "free" zone.  <G>  Next time he tried it, I gave him a verbal warning, he kept it up, and I smacked him.  The P&R person said, "don't so that, you'll raise his pulse."  My answer was, "I don't care, he needs to behave."  He's behaved in the P&R box since then.  <EG>

Dawn Carrie, Texas
and Bear (better listen to mom, she means what she says!)