Re: [RC] re: You should (was agressive kicker) - Truman Prevatt

While I agree that a horse that kicks around a vet check at another horse, vet or volunteer should be DQ'ed, I also feel that if this reaction was prompted by the actions of another horse (bitting a horse, banging into the horse, etc.), that horse should also be DQ'ed. There are a lot of different acts of aggression and none should be tolerated.

There is a huge difference when a horse that kicks just because they don't like the vet raising their tail and a horse that kicks because they are defending themselves from an attack when the horse behind them takes a chomp out of them. In general if a fight breaks out in a human sporting event, both participants are ejected. Makes sense to me that this should also be true for horses at an endurance ride.

Truman

CTH wrote:
I agree with Susan.
As a ride manager I will DQ anyone who has a horse that acts agressively around my volunteers.
My horse would think he was going to die if he even thought about being agressive in camp or around people.
That said I also would like to mention the riders who are busy chatting in the vet line up and paying no attention to the horse they are holding. We had a person kicked and hurt because the riders were crowded so they could visit.
The horses were visiting in a not so nice way and wham.
The person who got hurt was standing in the wrong place just watching. A non horsey volunteer.
Paddi

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics