RE: [RC] You should (was: agressive kicker) - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

> With this I cannot agree. With my stallions (and other horses for that
> matter), the rule is, "I don't care HOW provoked you were, you are NOT
> allowed to take pot shots with your hooves." At least not at a vet
> check at an endurance ride, or anytime the horse is being handled
> anywhere.

Forgive the “me too” post, but I have to agree with Kat.  Granted, I’m highly biased because I’m spending a lot of my time at vet checks in close proximity of potentially flying hooves, which on occasion have made contact with me to my great regret, whether they were specifically aiming at me or not.  Usually, I can dodge, but not always successfully.  Whenever I have had to dodge (successfully or not), I often get to immediately hear why it was essentially okay for the horse to be kicking---she’s in season, he doesn’t like his butt being handled by strangers (probably shouldn’t be at an endurance ride ‘til he learns better, then, huh?), he was feeling crowded by another horse in line, whatever.  Okay, it’s par for the course being a vet, and at least I’m usually careful to be watching for it---but a lot of the P&R crew aren’t used to it, are there on a voluntary and under-thanked basis, and their duties shouldn’t have to include dodging flying feet.  Teach the horse manners or stay home ‘til you both know better.  I have to admit, consistently bad manners from the same horses at vet checks is becoming a bit of a pet peeve of mine---I’ll tolerate grumpiness to a certain extent, but if I see a horse take a shot anywhere near a volunteer, be prepared to be promptly DQed for it with no apologies from me.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM