[RC] You should (was: agressive kicker) - k s swigart

Sandy said:

Having another STALLION at a vet check be
ALLOWED - and he WAS allowed by his idiot
rider - to BITE MY HORSE IN THE BUTT,
causing my guy to take a kick and slightly swipe
the P & R person(the bad actor boy got pulled
apparently later on) is not cause for me to punish
MY horse. Frankly, the rider deserved the swift
kick - and I will not punish my horse for defending
his person against physical attack.

With this I cannot agree.  With my stallions (and other horses for that
matter), the rule is, "I don't care HOW provoked you were, you are NOT
allowed to take pot shots with your hooves."  At least not at a vet
check at an endurance ride, or anytime the horse is being handled
anywhere.

While it may be understandable that a horse with let fly with its hooves
when bit in the ass by another horse, I don't consider it excusable.  It
is called being civilized.  The definition of being civilized is to
refrain from retaliation even when provoked.

So yes, my horses get corrected for kicking at horses that run up their
butt, slam into them, or even bite them. And until they learn it, I
don't consider them civilized and refrain from taking them out in, at
least unsuspecting, company.  Or keep them well away from other horses
(i.e. ride at the back).

However, since the way to train horses not to retaliate even when
provoked is to provoke them, somewhere along the line, you HAVE to take
them out in company so they can learn it.  My favorite way of doing this
is to pony another horse off of them so they get used to having another
horse in close proximity, jostling them, harassing them, etc.  But I
confess to also recruiting friends to play "provocateur."

That way, I can hope to be ready for when I am in a group of strange
horses with my horse and know that the horse will behave impeccably no
matter how ill-mannered the rest of the company.

So yes, you SHOULD correct your stallion (or any other horse) for taking
a pot shot at the P&R person just because s/he happened to be standing
in range when your horse got bit in the butt and let fly with his hooves
indescriminately (after all he MISSED the true offender). And actually,
one of the biggest reasons that horses should be corrected for taking
pot shots at other horses that harass them from behind is just
this....often, they miss with their retaliation and some innocent
by-stander is the one that gets nailed.

When I am riding and/or handling my horse, it is MY responsiblity, and
mine alone, to keep it from being harassed from behind.  My horse
doesn't get to take matters into his own hands no matter how badly he
thinks I may be falling down on the job of protecting him from such
harassment.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

"If the end justifies the means, everybody is justified." John G. Beck,
PhD