Re: [RC] [RC] agressive horse...defensive kicker? - SandyDSA

In a message dated 12/24/2007 8:55:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, jspoone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If your horse is dangerous
on the trail and you won't train them out of it then don't take them on the
trail where they can hurt people.
Question - our guy is not dangerous - on the contrary he is exceptionally sweet, well mannered and NOT a kicker. I ribbon him because he is a boy - I tend to be cautious. Having another STALLION at a vet check be ALLOWED - and he WAS allowed by his idiot rider - to BITE MY HORSE IN THE BUTT, causing my guy to take a kick and slightly swipe the P & R person(the bad actor boy got pulled apparently later on) is not cause for me to punish MY horse. Frankly, the rider deserved the swift kick - and I will not punish my horse for defending his person against physical attack. I won't allow any of our horses to start anything nor to behave aggressively in ANY situation where their person is not in peril -and so people would say, "then you SHOULD punish them for kicking when rear-ended by another horse". No, I disagree - because that bad mannered horse BEHIND me may well clip the heels of MY horse - as happened to my dear departed mare years ago - her heels were bloodied and painful because of another horse. I had to wrap and care for those heels for a couple of weeks to fight any infection. People need to keep their own horses out of the safe space of others, and not to say keeping out of close quarters because that situation is inherent in most every equestrian event; rather, a rider has a responsibility to keep his own mount from being a nuisance or danger to others as much as is possible.

When we take a horse and saddle and bridle it then ride it however and wherever we want then we also decide what is allowed and what is not, the horse loses any and all control over his sense of self preservation. Then we wonder why we have psychotic or unruly or unpredictable horses.....we as their CUSTODIANS need to be better and wiser accountants of their needs, and how our TAKING of their instincts affects their responses. In that view, I cannot with a clear head allow another horse to injure mine - or threaten to do so - and then punish mine.

Merry Christmas to all...and to all a good night!

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com