RE: [RC] Wintec 500 Dressage question (re: my saddle question) - Chris Anton

I loved my wintec dressage 500 for short rides, but after more than an hour in the saddle, it became excruciating for me! Not sure if the twist wasn't right for me or what, but my hips would ache and my lower back. I'd find myslf fighting for position all the time.

When you fall in a river, you're no longer a fisherman; you're a swimmer." - Gene Hill

From: mikelewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Wintec 500 Dressage question (re: my saddle question)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:25:52 -0500

I looked at many used and new saddles today, and brought home a Wintec 500 Dressage to try with my horse.  Have a week to decide to buy it.

I sat in a Wintec Isabel and felt that the seat was deeper than I really want.  Sat in the Pro Dressage and was OK with it, but not sure if it is worth the $200 extra over the 500 model.  Also tried a Collegiate dressage saddle and it was OK, but again, the seat was a bit deeper than I care for.  I like a little room for adjustment during longer rides.

The only gripes I have on the 500 dressage saddle:

1.  There is no finishing around the bottom edges, so I will either have to ride in half chaps or buy a full-length saddle cover to protect my lower legs from abrasion.  Not a big deal since I plan to buy a full-length sheepskin cover, anyway.  The Pro Dressage is better finished along the lower edge, but I'd still buy a cover for it, too.

2.  My feet feel like they're out in front of me.  I moved the saddle back on the horse and the problem is mostly resolved.  I suspect some of the issue is that I'm used to a Bob Marshall and NOT to any English saddle.  Can anyone recommend anything I can try?  My heels are definitely under my backside.  Perhaps I can move the blocks underneath the saddle flaps around and fix the problem.

Would appreciate any thoughts/help for this non-English-saddle rider.

Thank you,

Mike

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!