[RC] Question for Older Riders - Bruce Weary

Hi Susan--
The doctor is in.
Way in.
There are several things your mother can try. Ice is always best for the kind of knee pain you are describing, especially if there is heat or tenderness present. Heat will feel more soothing on the skin, but is usually not a good idea, or at least should be use sparingly and along with intermittent ice. Don't use the heat patches. An elastic brace won't really help with stability, but it might help her feel more secure. A truly effective brace will be too bulky to ride in. If she is going to have a Syn-Visc injection, 30 days before the event would probably be a good time frame.
There are a couple of remarkable products called Gluconex and Ibunex. They are topical cremes that both contain glucosamine, and the Ibunex contains a trace of Ibuprofen, so little that it probably wouldn't bother Mom. They are in what is called a "liposome" base, which actually allows the contents to penetrate through the skin to the target tissue. No other over-the-counter topical (Ben-Gay, Biofreeze, etc.,.) does this. You can get it from a company called "Core Products" without a prescription. We can't keep it in stock in my clinic, as it sells like wildfire. Then, of course, there's always good old DMSO. I can't legally advise you to use it. But, if someone other than me were to recommend it, they would probably say to use the gel form in less than a 90% concentration, so as not to burn Mom's skin. They would probably also say to use only a thin film on the skin, and to not wash off the excess, as that can irritate the skin also. I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything personally about it.
That will be $75. Please pay the nice lady at the front desk. If you don't, she'll chase you out into the parking lot. Fer sher. :> Dr Q