Re: [RC] Human Heart Rate Question - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC]  Human Heart Rate Question
Well, Nik is a cardiologist and I am a lowly ex-sports medicine doc, but with my having done 1,000s of exercise tests, I offer:

 #1— You will not find someone with “the same problem” as your lung condition is fairly unusual for this list and each person is exquisitely unique anyway.

#2—Given #1, more important than your heart rate is whether you are still aerobic (probably—you don’t say how old you are) and how your heart is doing electrocardiographically in that range. Is there any sign of strain, ischemia, arrhythmia, or conduction defects? If you have not already done so, I recommend you get a gold standard treadmill with O2/C02 measurement (nose clips and breathing tube, and even pulse oximetry) which will show you your electrocardiogram and what % V02 max you are during riding.

#3—As you increase your fitness in your heart, skeletal muscles, and remaining half of your lung, your heart rate will go down for the same amount of activity.

#4—When you say “riding”, do you mean posting on jackhammer horse, constantly pulling back on a maniacal horse, walking on a school horse, or galloping on the track? I imagine that you can spend more time in the saddle if you regulate your level of exertion and the type of horse you ride.

#5--(Mostly an aside to Nik When I was an intern (and the #1 song was Stayin’ Alive, so now you know what my MHR is!), we had a young guy in the CCU whose heart rate was 220 for the better part of 5 days w/ no sign of heart failure. He was some kind of WPW variant, as I recall. Our attending, Melvin Scheinman, at San Francisco General was able to get amiodurone sent in from NIH as an experimental drug, and that broke him (the pt).

Amber, PM me if you want to discuss. Or just, as Nik says, look on the bright side of things as they are now.

Beverley
Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & THerapy (HEALTH)
http://www.horsensei.com