RE: [RC] Injured tendons - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I’ve seen two like that, one was a stallion kicked by the mare he was covering during breeding, the other was a horse that slipped halfway getting into a trailer and banged the leg on the step-up.  So I’d expect that some sort of “knock” was probably involved, though strange things can always happen (they are, after all, horses).  Both healed well, but you could see subtle changes in the way they moved out at the trot.  As with any tendon injury, it all depends on the numbers of fibers that were disrupted.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

While we're on the subject of injured tendons, perhaps someone can answer this question for me.  What would cause an extensor tendon in a hind leg to unattach and cause a bow in the front of the leg?  The tendon has since reattached after some time off and wrapping, but is this something that has ever happened to anyone else before and are there any long term soundness issues?

Margaret

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb