Re: [RC] Injured tendons - Barbara McCrary

We once had a mare that severed an extensor tendon on a front leg.  It was an injury that occurred out in pasture, so we never knew what caused it, but it appeared that she struck the front of the cannon on something.  After it healed, she was a bit lazy picking up that leg, resulting in occasional tripping.  A damaged extensor tendon makes it difficult to pick up the leg with the same vigor as with a normal tendon.  Our experience...

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:14 AM
Subject: [RC] Injured tendons

While we're on the subject of injured tendons, perhaps someone can answer this question for me.  What would cause an extensor tendon in a hind leg to unattach and cause a bow in the front of the leg?  The tendon has since reattached after some time off and wrapping, but is this something that has ever happened to anyone else before and are there any long term soundness issues?

Margaret

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb