Re: [RC] Don't be confused! - John Teeter

I feel two things are going on. a) there is comment re: blatant advertising on the ridecamp list; and b) there is a need to enable ridecamp to be a conduit for information to the endurance community. ?Reactions, as was pointed out earlier, range from LoveIt2HateIt - what ever, blatant advertising (a) is not needed on this list. There are alternatives (which sometime cost you) to getting your blatant marketing message to people that want to see it via ways they want to get it.

Non-Blatant marketing message (i.e. messages which need to get to the marketplace - for non-blatant purposes...) need also to have an easy way to get out. Now it' IS possible that a non-blantant message might carry blatant marketing information - Many of the signature lines are like that. Note the one that Paddi is using now. THAT one-liner is a non-blatant marketing tag-line IMO).

I used to strip these messages (or signature files) off of the messages that went through ridecamp, maybe that should be turned on again:)?

The recent informational message from Susan was borderline (IMO) - it carried relivant/pertinant information (.com.vs.net) to the community. That part of the message was peachy (IMO). The signature file used though is, as Kat pointed out so much more eloquently than I ever could!!;) - was excessive and is a good example what, IMO, is an excessive tag line. ?A Phone number + url is really all that we need to see.?

and finally, this little discussion was a good example of the amplitude swings of ridecamp (for you who may not have been through many cycles).?

johnt?

(and thanks to the volunteers. we'll see how they fare:)