Re: [RC] Just Ride! - Beth Walker

Since I work, I have to wait for the weekend (bummer...). ?But the rain, and spazzy horses .. OH YEAH. ?(Nancy - I'm over in Lakeside/Santee area, and I ride in Descanso/Cuyamaca)

I thought it was going to be wetter last Sunday than it was, and I was worried about getting my truck getting stuck ?at the trailhead, so I stayed home. ?There were a couple of places to lunge (round pens were too wet), and the track was dry enough to trot/walk on, so I figured I would lunge a bit, and then see about doing some light riding. ?Oh Boy. ?I knew I was in trouble when Caisson took off in a huge spook as I reached down for the lunch whip. ?It took 45 minutes to get a controlled trot circle out of him on the lunge line, and that was interrupted with more bolting and some very impressive rearing at the end of the line. ?Sigh. ?When I did get on, I had 3 bucking episodes before he seemed to get all the excess energy under control. ?Good thing they were little bucks. ?:)

I'm going to have to go through the whole thing again this weekend, since with the time change, it is full dark before I even get out to see him at night, and too chilly to let him rip around in the round pens and get sweated up. ?Our ranch is having a fun show on Saturday, so I will be doing that instead of riding. At least the round pens should be dry enough to let him really get the bucks out before I get on. ?The gymkana classes should be really interesting. ?:) ?Sunday, I'm planning on a nice, long ride (yippee). ?