[RC] To shoot or not to shoot.... - Valerie Jaques

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the idea of killing the dog.  The sad fact is that this situation is NOT THE DOG'S FAULT.  This is the fault of the a$$hat "owners" who've allowed this situation to devolve to the point where their animals are unbalanced and dangerous.  They refuse to take responsibility for their actions and failures to act.  These dogs deserve compassion and good, responsible owners.  Failing that (stressing that the failure is only that they are too ill to be adopted), they deserve a quick, easy passage from this life.  Again, I DO NOT advocate the killing of people's pets.  A point well made in the movie, "Jurassic Park," is: Animals are animals; they do what they do.  These dogs have been allowed to roam about in a virtually feral situation with no rules, boundaries or limitations, and now people and animals around them are suffering for it.  I'd really rather that the owners could just be summarily shot for this, but that solves nothing and goes against my UU principles.  It sounds like the situation has no really good solution, as the sheriff's dept has little ability to do more than leave it alone or kill the dogs.  It's extreme.  They could be sued, but I'm sure collecting would be difficult even if you could get a judgement.  And it should be pointed out that it's a public road, and if you wanted to ride your legally owned yak down the road, you have the right to do it without being harrassed by dangerous dogs.