Re: [RC] Why shoot the dog? - Jody Rogers-Buttram

The problem is people are a bunch of jackasses when it comes to their dogs.  If the owner have been contacted, and they refuse to do anything about it, the law here in AL lets someone SHOOT a dog to kill IF it is attacking livestock....and horses could be considered livestock.  As far as calling the animal control....NOT all counties have such.  And most of the time, they do very little because they are not allowed to go on the property without the owner's permission.  Lawrence county, AL didn't have any animal control years...not until about 6 years ago did they have anything. We still don't have a real one, just a woman that has zoo animals, and she now has the animal control job.

This type of owner is not the kind that is going to take responsibility for their dogs.  That is just tuff for the dogs.  I promise you, If I find a dog in the pasture with my cows or horses, and he isn't just "passing thru"....he will be dead.  Shoot, shovel and shut up.   As far as one that attacked me while riding, after doing what all this person has done, I would make a point of running that sucker down with the car next time.   Or throw him an antifreeze biscuit.

Jody

Again, I have two dogs...and their butts are confined  !!!!!  Or else they might bother other people and get shot.

oddfarm <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Valerie said, "If the dog has actually bitten your horse, and the owner has been warned, etc., I'm afraid you've little choice but to shoot to kill."

What???? It might not be the Sheriff's job to come out on a vicious dog call, but don't any of ya'll have animal control services? I can't think of a single state that I have been in that doesn't have an animal control. They may not have human society's or SPCA's but they always have an animal control. That is who your vet reports your rabies vaccine to in order to make sure all animals have the vaccine. Animal control also investigates animal cruelty, dog fighting, cock fighting and animal bites. Some states have the 3 bite rule where after the third founded report the animal must be put down as they are considered vicious. Sometimes a dog is just a dog and they hunt the wrong animal (pet rabbit, chickens, cats) and kill it. That may be considered a vicious bite, as well.

Come on people, don't we have enough shooting going on in this world? If you want to shoot, don't shoot the dog. The dog is NOT the one being an ass. Make the owners responsible. I am pretty sure in most states dogs, and sometimes cats must were a license. Call animal control if a dog is bothering you and report that is has no license and let them come and investigate. The owner could be fined for not having a tag, not restraining a dog or not having them under control and, if the dog bit you or your horse, that could be the last straw for the dog.

If that doesn't work have a lawyer send them a letter of intent to sue if something happens to you or your horse. Yeah, it will cost ya. But really, how much satisfaction can you get from shooting an animal? I can assure you, that if you shoot the dog, the owner will sue YOU!

Geeze, let's not beat up people who ride the crap out of a horse, because that would be just WRONG. But go ahead and shoot the dog.

I don't get it.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf aRm